Mark is a native Houstonian. He grew up in Spring Branch and is a graduate of Stratford High School. He attended the University of Texas at Austin where he was accepted into the Plan II Interdisciplinary Honors Programs. In 1986, he graduated at the top of his class and was named a Dean’s Distinguished Graduate of the University. He was also Endowed Presidential scholar, a member of the Mortar Board, and Phi Beta Kappa.
He attended Southwestern Medical School in Dallas and in 1990 graduated at the top of his medical school class and was a member of Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society.
Dr. Mayo completed his medical internship at Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas. In 1991, he moved to Philadelphia and completed a three-year surgical specialty residency at the Wills Eye Hospital. He also served as the Chief Resident in his final year at Wills.
Upon graduation from Wills in 1994, he returned to Houston and started his practice. In 2007, he merged his Houston laser eye surgery practice with Eye Center of Texas. He enjoys the practice of medicine and the specialty of Ophthalmology, and he brings the latest in surgical techniques to the practice.
Dr. Mayo has been the Chairman of Surgical Specialties at Bayshore Medical Center in Pasadena, Texas, and was named “TOP DOCTOR” in Houston listings. He was one of the first cataract surgeons in Houston to offer bladeless cataract surgery and is ranked as one of the nation’s top 10 cataract surgeons for number of procedures using the LenSx Laser. He is also the Medical Director for Opticare medical insurer for the entire state of Texas and is one of 15 physicians in the United States on the Physician Leadership Board for United Surgical Partners Corporation.
Mark is married to Abigail; they have 2 beautiful children, Lily Catherine and Jack Terry. Mark is passionate about golf, and he and Abigail support the Houston Opera and are avid moviegoers.
CURRICULUM VITAE MARK L. MAYO, M.D.
Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Date of Graduation: June, 1994
Degree: Ophthalmology Residency
Elected Chief Resident for 1993-1994
Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, Dallas, Texas
Date of Graduation: June, 1991
Degree: Internal Medicine internship
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas
Date of Graduation: June, 1990
Class rank: 7 out of 192 (cumulative rank)
1 out of 192 (third year rank)
University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
Date of Graduation: May, 1986
Degree: B.A. – Plan II Interdisciplinary Honors Program
Awarded with Highest Honors
Overall GPA: 3.998
Honors and Awards
- Chief Resident at Wills Eye Hospital 1993-1994
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society 1989
- Southwestern Medical Foundation Scholar 1986
- Awarded Southwestern Medical Foundation Scholarship 1986
- Named a Dean’s Distinguished Graduate of the University of Texas in 1986
- Phi Beta Kappa 1985
- Phi Beta Kappa Scholastic Achievement Award winner 1985
- Endowed Presidential Scholarship winner 1985
- Virginia Smith Scholarship for Outstanding Students 1985
- Distinguished College Scholar 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986
- Mortar Board Student Leadership Society 1985-1986
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Golden Key National Honor Society
License and Certifications:
- Pennsylvania 1993
- Texas 1994
- The American Board of Ophthalmology May 12, 1996
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Harris County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
Eye Center of Texas is an established laser vision correction practice, providing high-quality treatments to patients throughout Texas. In addition to performing LASIK eye surgery, Dr. Mayo and Dr. Wade are renowned cataract surgery Houston providers. Other procedures they perform include laser cataract surgery, PRK and iLASIK.