Understanding Artificial Intraocular Lenses (IOLs)
IOLS for cataracts, astigmatism, and more
During cataract surgery, your surgeon will need to remove your natural lens and your eye will lose its ability to focus light and images clearly onto the retina (the light-sensitive tissue that lines the inside surface of the eye). In order for you to be able to see clearly, your surgeon will replace your natural lens with a artificial intraocular lens (IOL).
Learn more about the IOL options that are available to cataract patients.
- Since “mono” means one, monofocal lenses provide one type of focused, or clear, vision. They provide clear vision either at distance or near, but not both.
- Most patients who select monodical lenses choose to have good distance vision and use reading glasses to help with near tasks, such as reading, computer work or sewing.
- Monofocal lenses are typically covered by insurance and Medicare and usually require no additional out-of-pocket payment.
Toric IOLs for Astigmatism
- Astigmatic lenses (or toric lenses) are monofocal lenses that can correct astigmatism.
- Because astigmatic lenses can correct astigmatism, they may reduce the need for an astigmatism correction in the patient’s eyeglasses after surgery.
- Astigmatic lenses are not fully covered by insurance and Medicare and require an out-of-pocket patient contribution.
Premium IOLs: Multifocal
- Since “multi” means “more than one,” multifocal lenses provide more than one type of focused, or clear, vision. They attempt to provide clear vision both at distance and near simultaneously.
- Because multifocal lenses correct both distance and reading vision, they can reduce the patient’s dependence on eyeglasses and contact lenses.
- Multifocal lenses are not fully covered by insurance and Medicare and require an out-of-pocket patient contribution.
Financing Options Available
Apply today to find a financing option that meets your needs.
Houston/Bellaire6565 W. Loop S., Suite 650
Bellaire, TX 77401
Pasadena4415 Crenshaw Road
Pasadena, TX 77504
Sugar land15400 S.W. Freeway, Suite 301
Sugar Land, TX 77478
Clear Lake455 E. Medical Center Blvd., Suite 110
Webster, TX 77598
KatyGreenhouse Medical Plaza
2051 Greenhouse Road, Suite 110
Houston, TX 77084
The Woodlands/Conroe100 Medical Center Blvd., Suite 118
Conroe, TX 77304