Millions of people have turned to LASIK to correct their vision, however some people use a haphazard approach to choosing a LASIK doctor by selecting a surgeon based on cost. While LASIK has been proven to be both safe and effective, the surgeon you choose is very important, so choose wisely. Ask your optometrist who he/she recommends (ECT co-manages with 275+ Houston area optometrist – and if your optometrist is in our co-managment network, he/she can do you initial LASIK evaluation as well as your post operative LASIK care). Also, ask your co-workers, friends, family who have had LASIK who they recommend. Ask questions to help determine if your surgeon has the qualifications and experience to work on your eyes. Some questions you might want to ask are:
- How many LASIK procedures has the surgeon performed?
- What percent of LASIK patients have achieved a vision of 20/20 or better?
- What percent of LASIK patients have reported complications (halos, starbursts, dry eye, etc.) six months after surgery?
- What percent of patients have needed an LASIK enhancement?
- Equipment: What kind of technology does the surgeon use, and do you have a choice as to the type of technology? Be sure to ask if the surgeon offers 100 percent all-laser LASIK (also known as Bladeless LASIK), or if he/she uses a microkeratome blade (note, Dr. Mark Mayo and Dr. Edward Wade only perform all-laser LASIK).
- Professional, friendly staff: From the receptionist to the surgeon, a vision center’s staff and their demeanor speaks volumes.
- Relationship with your eye doctor: Will the surgeon work with your current eye doctor—both before and after surgery—to ensure your continued satisfaction with your LASIK eye surgery?
- Results: Does your provider offer a warranty (note: Dr. Mark Mayo and Dr. Edward Wade offer a ‘limited lifetime warranty’ at no additional cost).
The doctors at Eye Center of Texas will take the time to evaluate your eyes and discuss all available vision correction options, including LASIK, PRK and Visian ICL.
If you are ready to have the best vision of your life, call us today at 713-395-1515.