Can Glaucoma Be Prevented?
Is there any way to prevent glaucoma?
Though it’s unclear whether glaucoma can be prevented, you might be able to reduce your risk for the disease by maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol, eat a healthy diet, keep your weight down, exercise and take nutritional products.
Currently, regular eye exams are the best form of prevention against significant glaucoma damage. In general, a check for glaucoma should be done:
- Before age 40, every two to four years
- Age 40 to age 54, every one to three years
- Age 55 to 64, every one to two years
- After age 65, every six to 12 months
- Anyone with high risk factors should be tested every year or two after age 35. Those at higher risk include people of African descent, people with diabetes, and people with a family history of glaucoma. You are at increased risk if you have a parent or brother or sister with glaucoma.
5 min read
How to Find a Glaucoma Specialist in Houston
3 min read
How Do You Know if You Have Glaucoma?
Financing Options Available
Apply today to find a financing option that meets your needs.
Houston/Bellaire6565 W. Loop S., Suite 650
Bellaire, TX 77401
Pasadena4415 Crenshaw Road
Pasadena, TX 77504
Sugar land15400 S.W. Freeway, Suite 301
Sugar Land, TX 77478
Clear Lake455 E. Medical Center Blvd., Suite 110
Webster, TX 77598
KatyGreenhouse Medical Plaza
2051 Greenhouse Road, Suite 110
Houston, TX 77084
The Woodlands/Conroe100 Medical Center Blvd., Suite 118
Conroe, TX 77304