It’s important to know what to expect after LASIK surgery. This way, you can avoid unnecessary complications and guarantee a smooth recovery process.
LASIK is a highly effective vision correction surgery. It can have profound and lasting improvements on your vision, and post-surgery complications are extremely rare. However, the average LASIK recovery time can be up to 6 months, and this timeline can become even longer if you partake in certain activities or fail to properly care for your eyes post-surgery.
To make sure your recovery process isn’t hindered, we’ll cover what to expect after LASIK, including LASIK recovery tips and potential complications.
How long does it take for your eye to heal after LASIK?
As we just mentioned, the LASIK recovery time period lasts around 6 months. However, this is in total, and it does not mean you’ll be down for the count the entire 6 months. In fact, you can resume most normal activities after the first 24 hours. This includes driving, working, and reading.
If you’re wondering, “Can you watch TV after LASIK?”, then you’ll be happy to know that this activity can also be resumed after 24 hours.
Within the first week, you might notice some light sensitivity and minor eye irritation that may give you the urge to rub your eyes. In fact, approximately 95% of patients said they experienced dry eyes after LASIK. However, after the first few weeks, these side effects should almost completely disappear. For most LASIK patients, it seems that the recovery process ends right around this time. You will be able to resume nearly all normal activities (including swimming), you shouldn’t feel any further irritation, and you won’t need to wear any eye coverings.
This being said, your eyes, especially the corneal flap (to many patients’ concern), will continue to heal (even if it isn’t noticeable) up to the 6-month mark.
What should I avoid after LASIK?
If you really want to know what to expect after LASIK, then you need to understand that there are a handful of normal activities that you need to avoid at all costs — at least for a certain time period. Here are some of the activities to avoid after your LASIK surgery:
- Do not drive, get on an airplane, or watch TV for 24-48 hours
- Do not wear makeup, exercise, or apply facial creams for the first week
- Avoid getting shampoo/soap in your eyes when you shower
- Do not wear contact lenses, play contact sports, or swim for up to a month
Our favorite LASIK recovery tips
One of the best LASIK recovery tips we can offer is to make sure you avoid the list of items up above for the recommended amount of time. Below are additional tips to help make your recovery process as easy and smooth as possible.
- Remember to protect your eyes from the sun. Wear sunglasses and eye coverings when necessary.
- The recovery process is different for everyone. Stay in contact with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
- Attend all follow-up appointments, even if you feel you don’t need to attend them.
- Take all medications (and avoid others) as prescribed by your doctor (learn more about the recommended eye drops after LASIK).
- Ask a friend to help you out during the first day or two after the procedure. Remember, you won’t be able to drive or watch TV, which means you’ll need a ride home from the doctor’s and you may want some company. Learn more about how to help care for someone after LASIK.
What are the risks of LASIK?
Risks or complications associated with LASIK are rare. The only real concern is the possibility of infection. However, this only occurs if you’re not following our LASIK recovery tips and failing to avoid all the unsafe post-LASIK activities. For example, if you decide to swim before the first month is up, there’s a likelihood that you could suffer from some type of bacterial infection.
If you are still concerned about potential issues arising after your operation, speak with your doctor before undergoing LASIK surgery. They’ll be able to reassure you of the benefits of this low-risk procedure.
Ready to get started with LASIK? Contact Eye Center of Texas today.
With over 75,000 successful LASIK eye surgeries under our belt, we’ve quickly become the go-to spot for LASIK surgery in Texas. Our vision experts can help you understand what to expect after LASIK and provide you with the best tools for post-surgery treatment.
If you’re ready to start your LASIK journey, give us a call at 713-395-1515 or contact us online.
More Helpful Articles by Eye Center of Texas: