Eat Right For Your SIGHT!
Proper nutrition is critical to good eye health.
- Eat Lots of Vegetables and Fruits – Antioxidants protect against oxidation, which is a part of the process of macular degeneration (AMD). Dark green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, mustard greens, and collard greens contain high levels of lutein, a critical antioxidant. Antioxidants are also present in fruits and vegetables with bright color, including red grapes, peppers, corn, oranges, cantaloupe, and mango. Look for fresh produce in a variety of colors to get a wide range of vitamins in your diet.
- Eat Fish – People who eat fish 2-3 times a week have a lower risk for AMD. Fish contain omega-3 which seems to be a critical nutrient for the heart and eyes. The best fish are either wild salmon or small fish like sardines. If you cannot tolerate fish or obtain it easily, an omega-3 supplement is another option.
- Limit Your Fat Intake – In reviewing studies on fat, researchers found that while the amount of fat consumed makes a difference, the real issue for AMD is the number of saturated fats a patient consumes. The biggest source of saturated fat is animal products – beef, lamb, pork, lard, butter, cream, whole milk, and high-fat cheese. Plant oils also have saturated fat, including coconut oil, cocoa butter, palm oil, and palm kernel oil. Read the labels on processed foods and baked goods, as they often have high amounts of saturated fats. Instead, consume healthy fats like olive oil or avocado.
In addition to eating right Dr. Mark Mayo, Dr. Edward Wade, Dr. Ting-Fang Suarez, and Dr. Paul Stewart suggest you follow the below to help prevent AMD:
- Don’t Smoke
- Exercise regularly, and maintain a healthy weight
- Keep your blood pressure and cholesterol under control
- Wear sunglasses outdoors to block UV that may cause eye damage
- Have regular eye exams.
5 min read
How to Relieve Contact Lens Intolerance
How to Treat Digital Eye Strain
5 min read
Retina Surgery Options
Financing Options Available
Apply today to find a financing option that meets your needs.
Houston/Bellaire6565 W. Loop S., Suite 650
Bellaire, TX 77401
Pasadena4415 Crenshaw Road
Pasadena, TX 77504
Sugar land15400 S.W. Freeway, Suite 301
Sugar Land, TX 77478
Clear Lake455 E. Medical Center Blvd., Suite 110
Webster, TX 77598
KatyGreenhouse Medical Plaza
2051 Greenhouse Road, Suite 110
Houston, TX 77084
The Woodlands/Conroe100 Medical Center Blvd., Suite 118
Conroe, TX 77304